MPG offers the most advanced Marine specific turn-key Corrosion Prevention Solutions, Application, and Consulting Services. The most efficient and economical solution is the use of advanced Cortec® VpCI corrosion inhibiting technologies from Metals Preservation Group. This group of inhibitors protects the metals from atmospheric corrosion and is able to stop corrosion at a molecular level. The organic substances vaporize and travel to all parts of the metal surfaces reaching even inaccessible areas. VpCIs have a very high range of application and their utilization is the result of technological as well as economic progress.
VpCI inhibitors are recommended for protection of inaccessible areas of marine structures such as: keel, rudder, rubbing strip etc. They are also applicable and highly efficient in the protection of pipelines, marine and naval equipment as well as electrical contacts.
Benefits of VpCI Inhibitors in Shipbuilding include multifunctional products; more effective protection; environmental safety; easy application; improved health, safety, and pollution control; elimination of extra processing steps: in most cases there is no need to remove the VpCI/MCI product; extended equipment life; little or no surface preparation; prevents further corrosion of ferrous surfaces; VpCI‐ layer does not have to be removed prior to processing or use; VpCI does not interfere with operation of mechanical components; good temperature resistance and high resistance of adsorbed protective layer against corrosion.
Example of a real life application of VpCI used for Gullfaks B oil and gas producing and drilling platform located in the North Sea:
1. Cortec Emitters VpCI®-101, VpCI®-110 and VpCI®-150 were installed in electrical enclosures.
2. VpCI®-323 used as an oil additive in gearboxes and in mud pump transmissions.
3. VpCI®-368 and VpCI®-369 was sprayed on painted and machined surfaces. Loose drilling equipment and wire-reels were also packed in Cor-Pak® VpCI® Stretch film.
4. VpCI®-609 was fogged in cement and barite tanks at a typical dosage 0.5 kg per cubic meter. VpCI®-609 was also added at a dosage of 3-5% to water and glycol used for filling of manifolds and flushing of carbon steel piping in the mud system.
5. 1% Cortec M-370 was added to waterbased BOP control fluid.